Jump To Navigation
Practice Areas
Child Support

Hammond, Indiana, Child Support Lawyers

Most child support payment schedules and amounts are dictated by Indiana state statute and guidelines. Therefore, it is important to have an attorney that is intimately familiar with the Indiana State Child Support Statutes. At Efron & Efron, in Hammond, Indiana, our child support lawyers have extensive experience working with parents to safeguard the best interests of their children.

Knowledgeable Indiana Child Support Lawyers

The parent that does not have physical custody may be ordered to pay child support to the parent that does have physical custody of the child. Child support is based upon each parent's gross income, whether a parent pays health insurance, day care expenses, child support for children from another marriage, and whether either parent has subsequent children. The Court also calculates child support keeping in mind how often the non-custodial parent regularly visits with their child on overnight visits. Although child support is usually ordered on a weekly basis, it will more than likely be paid in accordance with the obligor's pay schedule. This is the effect of a Wage Withholding Order.

Normally, the non-custodial parent paid child support until the child turned 21 years old. Beginning July 1, 2012, IC 31-14-11-18 and IC 31-16-6-6 will be modified to be more in line with the majority of states. Child support will now be terminated at the age of 19. Yet, there are exceptions: if the Court finds that the child is incapacitated, child support can be extended past his or her 19th birthday; if the Court finds that the child has turned eighteen years of age, joined the military, married or graduated high school with no plans of attending college with the ability of supporting themselves, child support can be terminated upon the Court's finding of emancipation before the child's 19th birthday.

Under Indianna Code 31-16-6-6 for parents that have an existing child support order entered prior to June 30, 2012, they can still petition the Court for educational expenses before the child turns 21; for any new child support orders entered July 1, 2012 and after, the petition must be filed before the child turns 19. If you are paying child support or receiving child support, please review your Order and consult with Julie A. Stephens if you have any questions on how the new law will affect your particular case.

Child support can be modified by a Court approved agreement or by Court order when there has been a substantial change of circumstances, pursuant to statute or for other reasons that your attorney may explain after consultation.

Contact our Indiana Child Support Attorneys

If you are involved in a divorce or need a post-divorce modification of a child support order, please contact the Indiana child support lawyers at Efron & Efron. Our attorneys can be reached by phone at [219] 931-5380, by e-mail, or by filling out the intake form on our Contact Us page.

5246 Hohman Avenue
Fifth Floor
Hammond, IN 46320

[219] 931-5380 phone
[219] 933-3180 fax

eLocal Badge
eLocal Badge