The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
State of Indiana, 1962
United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 1962
As anyone who knows him will quickly attest, Mort Efron is a truly unique personality shaped by his extraordinary talents and experiences. Yet, despite his many and varied experiences and far flung exploits, Mort has remained loyal to his roots in Hammond. In 1938, Mort's father, Frank S. Efron, arrived in Hammond via New York City, where he raised a family and started a law practice. As a young boy, Mort helped and learned from his father in the practice that is now known as Efron & Efron, P.C. In addition to the considerable experience he gained as a boy at the heels of his father, Mort has now added a legal career in which he has made thousands of court appearances on behalf of thousands of clients over a period of more than fifty (50) years.
After attending the University of Michigan where he earned a B.A. degree in economics and a Juris Doctorate degree from the law school, Mort returned to Hammond in 1962 to practice law in his father's firm. In addition to his work at the University of Michigan, Mort also did post graduate studies at the University of Chicago in business and law. The City of Chicago and State of Michigan would continue to play a central role in Mort's personal and professional life.
Chicago brought Mort his wife, Anita, to whom he has been married since 1964. Mort and Anita resided in Munster, Indiana, where they raised their children, Jessica and Matthew. Mort and Anita now reside in downtown Chicago in a 115 unit condominium where he serves as President of the Condominium Association.
During summer months, Mort and Anita can often be found at their summer home in South Haven, Michigan, while the fall months bring football games at the Big House in Ann Arbor, where Mort has continued his relationship with the University of Michigan, and to serve as a member of the University of Michigan Presidents' Club.
Currently Mort focuses his practice representing and assisting clients with business, collection, real estate, criminal, and commercial litigation matters. Often, Mort is asked about his experience representing professional athletes. While no longer actively representing current professional athletes in the changed professional sports environment, Mort continues to represent former athletes in various capacities, including contract negotiations, endorsements, investments, financial advice and general legal representation. He represents or has represented professional athletes from the Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, and San Diego Chargers.
Among the players Mort represents for has represented: Revie Sorey II, Robert Fisher, Mike Singletary, Dave Wilson, Keena Turner, Dan Neal, Otis Wilson, Noah Jackson, and Keith Van Horne. While actively involved in player representation, Mort co-produced an independent production on NBC in Chicago, Chicago Bear Highlights. The production consisted of host Harry Caray and two of the Chicago Bear players reviewing the prior week's game and previewing the upcoming game.
In addition to his expansive legal experience, Mort is a businessman and investor. He is a former Chairman of the Board of the Western State Bank in Howard City, Michigan. Mort has an extensive background in real estate investment, having participated as an investor and limited partner in the following real estate partnerships:
- Regency Park Apartments, 250 units located in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Northville Green Apartments, 52 units located in Northville, Michigan
- Broadmanor Associates, 400,000 square foot shopping center located in Manchester, Connecticut.
- Troy Hilton Motor Inn Company, 400 unit suburban hotel located in Troy, Michigan.
- Country Club Marina Apartments, 250 unit apartment project located in Shreveport, Louisiana.
- Jacobson Investment Associates, owner of a limited partnership interest in Jacobson- Stewart Associates, which owns office buildings and apartments valued in excess of $20,000,000 in Lansing, Michigan.
- Jacobson Stewart Lansing Properties Partnership, which is the owner of shopping centers and office buildings having an approximate value of $30,000,000 located in the area of Lansing, Michigan.
- Naperville Condominium, Ltd., a 308 unit condominium project.
- 64 E. 94th Street, which is an investment group owning co-operative apartments in New York City.
- Spring Valley Apartments, 144 unit apartment complex located in Lansing, Illinois.
- Birmingham Tower, an office building in downtown Birmingham, Michigan.
- Wolverine Tower, an office building located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Troy Towers, a 25 story office building located in Troy, Michigan.
- HW Associates, which is an investment group owning co-operative apartments in New York City.
- 815PA, which is an investment group owning co-operative apartments at 815 Park Avenue in New York City.
- ABC Venture, which is an investment group which owns an interest in Tower Seventh Associates which owns the ABC Building in New York.
- Waters Edge Development Company, which developed luxury condominiums directly on Lake Michigan in South Haven, Michigan and has served as President of Waters Edge Condominium Association.
- Seaport Ventures, which is an investment group which owns an interest in Seaport South Associates which owns a number of condominiums in a condominium complex known as Seaport South Condominiums in New York.
- BIM Investment Group, LLC, which is developing a condominium project in Carefree, AZ.
Mort has served as a General Partner and an investor in the following limited partnerships:
- K&M Properties formed to own an office building and other real estate investments in Hammond, Indiana.
- Efron Investors, of which he was the General Partner, which owned a 44,000 square foot office building in Buffalo, New York, along with limited partnership interests in a shopping center in Swansea, Massachusetts and an equipment leasing company involving plastic reclamation machinery.
- Efron Investors-II, of which he is General Partner, is the owner of a 70,865 square foot shopping center located in Ypsilanti, Michigan, on a parcel of land consisting of approximately seven acres; and a fully improved family restaurant located in the shopping center; and a 44.4% interest in a limited partnership which will lease for nine and one-half years, equipment known as Sentinel EPS Recyclers.
- Efron Investors-III, of which he is General Partner, was the owner of a 50% interest in a limited partnership which owned and operated a 224 room hotel in Columbus, Ohio; numerous Satellite Communication Equipment systems; and an interest in a company developing a revolutionary medical device.
- Efron Investors-IV, of which he was the General Partner, was the owner of a 75% interest in a limited partnership which owned and operated a 201 room hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana, and owned $1,000,000 of Savin photocopy equipment which was leased to Fortune 1000 Companies.
- Efron Investors-V, of which he is the General Partner, is the 60% owner in a joint venture formed to develop and sell single family manufactured residential homes in Michigan.
- Efron Investors-VI, of which he was the General Partner, was formed to purchase approximately 8 million dollars worth of equipment used in building the Guavio Electric Project in Colombia for the purpose of worldwide sale to end users.
- Efron Investors-VII, of which he is the General Partner, was formed to purchase 4.5 million dollars of equipment used in constructing the Cerallas Dam in Ponce, Puerto Rico.
- Efron Apartment Investors, of which he is General Partner, which owned and operated a 240 dwelling unit apartment complex located in Fairborn, Ohio, a suburb of Dayton, Ohio. The apartment complex was recently sold and Efron Apartment Investors now owns a two (2) story office building on approximately 7.34 acres with approximately 58,700 rentable square feet located at 2998 Dutton Road, Auburn Hills, Michigan.
- Efron Cable Investors which owned and operated cable TV systems in two cities in Illinois and two cities in Missouri.
- EPCI Limited Partnership which owned and leased to the state of Michigan 388 photocopy machines.
- EEI Associates, a limited partnership which owned and leased over $1,000,000 of photocopy equipment to Maryland Casualty at their various offices throughout the United States.
- ELAPC, a limited partnership which owned and leased 101 photocopy coin operated machines to the Los Angeles County Library System.
- MFA CO. is a General Partnership which leased radio equipment to an FM radio station in North Dakota and owned and operated photocopy coin equipment at various drugstores, grocery chains, and colleges in California.
- E. G. Investors, is a General Partnership of which he is a major principal and who has purchased all of the assets of Action Video and are operating under the name of ActiVideo, marketing, selling and distributing a video endorsed by the American Lung Association, as well as other educational videos.
- Granada Villas, LLC was formed for the purpose of developing commercial and industrial real estate on the outskirts of Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Jackson Road Industrial Park, LLC which was formed for the purpose of developing commercial and industrial real estate on the outskirts of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Double M Equipment which owns, leases and sells large off-highway, highway, mining and construction equipment.
Mort also served as Chairman for cemeteries in Hammond and Portage, Indiana. He serves on various civic and corporate boards and is an active supporter of the Tradewinds Rehabilitation Center, Hammond Boys and Girls Club, and various schools and educational institutions. And, if you are planning a vacation, particularly outside of the United States, there are few people better suited than Mort to offer advice and recommendations. Mort's inquisitive nature and adventurous spirit have landed him on virtually every continent and in countless countries.